Sunday, December 4, 2011

End of the fairytale

Well now, every good thing comes to an end. It's been more than a year since I've exercised my English on this blog.

Long story short, when the time came (according to the rules of the DIAC I had 1 year of work expeience) I started reading about how to prepare my visa application. So, I ended up on the site of the entity that was going to assess my technical skills. In my case this was ACS (Australian Computer Society). And I started reading their terms.

That was the moment that I became depressed :) . In order to evaluate me positively I needed 2 years of work experience and my major or 4 years of work and my minor in the field that I chose. So suddenly Australia was 3 years away from me (I only have a minor in programming).

Lesson learned: always read all the conditions from whatever application you're making (maybe you could work at fixing more than one at the same time).

Off topic, I've searched for a migration agent and I found the fees to be incredibly steep (something around 3000 euros just for the consulting part). So, best thing would be to read all the documents carefully, search the forums, maybe contact the people from DIAC; basically try to do things by yourself, that way you'll have a general idea about how things work and it will build your confidence. And if you think about it rationally, you could get a one week leave from work to do this research and you'd be getting away a lot cheaper.

In the meanwhile I've taken the TOEFL exam with flying colors so if you need any advice for it write a comment.

I've met quite a few Australians and kiwis since I last wrote this post and I warmly recommend couchsurfing.org as a site that will allow you to do this also (it will also help with your English). I've also met a couple of Romanians that went there and it seems like a nice place, but I'm not sure anymore that it's the country I've been fantasizing in the previous posts. A question comes to mind: is it really worth it? I mean... is it worth it to start over from 0 there?

My near future plans sound like this: in September 2012 I'm going to the Netherlands to start studying for a master's degree. After I finish that I'm planning to move in a warmer country (maybe Spain, Portugal or who knows), but I'll have to see what life has in store for me.

That's it! I'm not going to write anything else here, but if you need any advice write a comment and I'll gladly share my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers mates!

1 comment:

  1. Hey treaz,
    We have long time without chatting, but I can't wait to bump with you online before I start sharing part of my wisdom (the very few and little I have).

    I understand depression. Is extremely easy to fall into sadness and evaluate the situation without any good feedback... But, do you know there are few things in live that comes without effort? Even fewer those that comes with luck, but you must understand and recognise, you will never start from scratch.

    It does not matter where you move to, is just impossible to start from scratch given any professional education you received.

    I mean, even people with lobotomies recover their lives and continue walking forward. Don't let yourself down!

    Is Australia worth it? Maybe! I can not say it will pay the same bang for your bucks... but you know what is worst? wondering the 'what if?'

    Now, ask yourself if you really want Australia, that is a different question. Do you really want to come down under? it will be one of the most rewarding experience, I can assure you.
    You don't want it anymore? then drop it, move on to something else and ever look back.

    Right-o mate? Have fun these holidays and give it a second thought.

    BTW I have observations on your post... Change the asses to assess. The missing s makes it an entire different word ;)

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete